Friday, September 26, 2008

'Tis the Season

It's the most wonderful time of the year!! Around here, we speak FSL - Football as Second Language. I can define, and use in a sentence (in football context) the following: "option", "screen pass", and "I-team". This time of year we have 'game film' almost constantly being reviewed, and I find little scraps of paper throughout the house wth x's and o's on them...and no, they aren't love letters! Football is not only a game to us, it is a paycheck. And, luckily, I 'heart' football.

I 'heart' that my husband gets to do something he is passionate about for a living. He, and his former team and fellow coaches, were recently honored during halftime at an APU football game. Ten years ago, as he began his career, he was the Offensive Coordinator at APU, and they won the National Championship, so they had a reunion and halftime presentation this year. Seeing the old team ten years later for this reunion brought back a lot of great memories!! Awww...we were just dating back then!!


Here he is waving to the crowd!!





The team...1o year reunion!


I also 'heart' cheering for my teams! I have highly sought after season tickets to Citrus College football games...I've got an in with the head coach! ; ) ...Go Fighting Owls!!...Kevin just loves that mascot!

I 'heart' my Purdue Boilermakers. I went to grad school there, and made some really close friends. When you are with 20 women every day, going through a full-time grad program together for 2 years, it's hard not to make close friendships! We went to many football games together, and had some really fun times!! I was lucky enough to get back to Indianapolis for my friend, Mandy's, wedding in August and reunite with several of those girls! When we get back together, it feels like it did 5 years ago!! I love those kind of friendships, where you pick up where you left off. They are so comfortable!



Purdue Speechies Reunion

Finally, I 'heart' UCLA. I loved going there, loved cheering for them at the Rose Bowl, so I was heartbroken when they lost so badly to BYU. During my period of mourning, the day after that game, I found this on my car window as I walked to my car after church:

At the risk of sounding sacreligious, I REALLY don't 'heart' BYU...they have some really crazy, Mormon fans. In fact, as evidenced above, one of them desecrated my car with this vile sticker...I'm not going to name names, but I have evidence that the perpetrator is a leader in my ward, his wife makes vinyl stickers, and his last name rhymes with "how". I drove home from church with my face shielded, hoping that someone wouldn't mistake me for a Cougar Fan. ; ) Long story, but they got a lot of mileage out of one little sticker.

As much as I don't heart the teams that beat mine, I do 'heart' college rivalries, and getting to watch the drama and excitment that this sport brings!! It makes this time of year fun for me, even though we miss seeing our husband and daddy!!

2 comments:

Kat said...

This was a cute post. I "heart" team sports, but HATE everything BYU! Whoever did that to your car must be a real sicko :) I know your a football widow this time of year - so let's plan a few scrapbook nights.

maren said...

how sad that somebody told this person what kind of car you drive and where it was located in the parking lot...so sad! i "heart" you...